Apr 25, 2010

Love your work.

This past week I found myself at the favorite client. I call this client ‘the favorite client’ because last year I enjoyed the pleasure of having a four month long steady gig at the same client and I found myself very happy on a number of levels.

This is a client I worked with way, way back in 2001, (as a matter of fact this is the client I was working for when September 11th took place).

Back in 2001 I spent a total 8 months straight working for this client and back then I was happy working here then but through circumstances beyond my control the run came to a rather abrupt end (nothing to do with me per-se and more to do with the person who bought me in).

So, last year when I got called back, I was eager to return although I had a certain trepidation about the reception that would await. As things turned out though, it was really, really a fabulous experience overall. This is a place where I like the people and the culture of the office and I find the combination is a harder and harder thing to come by as the years pass.

As the gig last year started to wind down, I was hoping I would be able to find some way to ‘stick’ as it were but that just didn’t happen. Of course, the day after my final day of that assignment also happened to be the day of the great scooter accident of 2009 so other matters quickly distracted me from any sadness I might’ve felt about the gig ending.

But, I’m back and the thing about working in a place and then not being there for a while and returning is although things have changed in your absence, there is still an air of familiarity which abounds. Now, on more than one occasion over the last few months I have started to write about how much I missed the place which is something that could seem odd to some of the people who work there but I really did miss it.

Over the four month period I was working here last year, I developed a whole host of good habits - I changed my diet, exercised more frequently (a lot of walking), I just used it as an excuse to work on some things I really needed to focus on and I was the happier for it. So, being back in the place is a joy which is a bit funny because I know there are people who are there, who are on staff, who bemoan their lot on a daily basis.

But I like the culture and I like the people and even though I don’t seem to be able to ‘stick’ as it were, I do enjoy a majority of the time I am there.

No comments: